Friday, March 23, 2012

A reminder of why I love it

I enjoy what I do professionally. Essentially I guess it's what I always wished how it would end up. I've had parallel dreams when I was younger of either being an artist or an actor (I acted from the age of seven to when I was 19), but fate would have it that I am where I am today. And I really have no reason to complain.

However, regardless weather ones profession in part is what one once desired it to be, it's still a job. There are good days and there are bad days. The passion comes and goes, but with the experience and accumulated insights that one picks up on the way, what one delivers hopefully always is of a consistent high standard.

Now and again though, in the midst of all those things that come with the job that aren't always of a creative nature, a project will come up that really reminds me of what this is all about and confirms why I not only like what I do, but also love it.

One such assignment just came my way. The client was tough as nails and expected nothing but perfection, but she also came with a very clear, yet inspiring brief.

The client was my daughter and the assignment her birthday party invitation.

As I set about to solve the creative challenge at hand it became quite apparent that the time I had allocated to complete it was very much underestimated. But when you find yourself having already spent far too much time on something and then realize you have about twice as much to go, there really is no turning back.

The key here though, and the lesson learnt is that as a creative, when you are so into a project and love doing it, the time really does not matter. Work really becomes pleasure!

As previously stated it really is a healthy reminder of why I do what I do and why I chose to do it.

And the fact that after having spent half the night completing the assignment, to wake up to a very happy client does not make matters worse.

Yes, the words "Hello Kitty" were
included in the brief

No comments:

Post a Comment